Last week was announced the programme for the forthcoming 2018/2019 season of the Vienna State Opera. The scope and diversity of the Vienna Opera’s programming is unmatched around the world; the 2018/2019 schedule includes 50 different operas, 16 different ballets (in ten full-length compilations) and five children’s programmes. In addition to this there are numerous concerts, matinées and special events.
Six opera premières will take place at the Vienna Opera House, including a world première, and a children’s opera première at the Walfishgasse.
- Hector Berlioz’ Les Troyens on 14 October 2018
- Johannes Maria Staud’s und Durs Grünbein’s Die Weiden (The Willows, world première, Wiener Staatsoper commission) on 8 December 2018
- Gaetano Donizetti’s Lucia di Lammermoor on 9 February 2019
- Richard Strauss’ Die Frau ohne Schatten on 25 May 2019
- Giuseppe Verdi’s Otello on 20 June 2019
- Elisabeth Naske’s Was ist los bei den Enakos? (What’s up with the Enako family?, world première, Wiener Staatsoper commission) on 26 January 2019 at the CHILDREN’S OPERA | AGRANA STUDIO STAGE | WALFISCHGASSE
Ballet Director Manuel Legris will be presenting three premières at the Vienna State Opera:
- Sylvia on 10 November 2018
- the four-part performance of Forsythe | van Manen | Kylián on 14 April 2019
- 2019 Nureyev Gala on 28 June 2019
150 Years Vienna State Opera
25 May 2019 marks the 150th anniversary of the opening of the Vienna opera house. The Vienna State Opera (former “Hofoper”) will celebrate “150 years of the Vienna Opera House” not just at the opera house, but all around the opera house, in Vienna, and in the Austrian provinces. The main events are the première of Die Frau ohne Schattenon 25 May 2019, an opening ceremony the morning of that day, and a celebration on Herbert von Karajan Platz on 26 May 2019. In addition, symposia, a CD box set, exhibitions, publications, school projects, online projects and much more are planned.
Recitals and Matinees
The wide-ranging programme of operas and ballets will be rounded off by several well-established event series:
- Recitals: internationally acclaimed singers will perform attractive concert programmes on seven evenings.
- Matinee series Ensemble Matinee in the Mahler-Saal: on seven different dates, young ensemble singers will be showcasing their talent outside the regular performance schedule. They will be accompanied on the piano by the répétiteurs of the opera house.
- Chamber Music Cycle of the Vienna Philharmonic: in ten matinées, members of the Vienna Philharmonic will present a diverse programme of chamber music in various different ensembles.
During the 2018/2019 season the WIENER STAATSOPER live at home programme will broadcast a total of 45 performances live on the internet in excellent picture and sound quality.
You can book tickets for the new 2018/2019 season on the ConcertVienna website: Vienna Opera schedule
Latest posts by Administrator (see all)
- Vienna State Opera: September 2018 in focus - August 30, 2018
- The new season 2018 | 2019 at the Vienna State Opera - April 23, 2018
- Ariodante: Premiere of a Baroque Opera Hit – II.Part - February 23, 2018